Matt Klos, Painter
The Department of Art and Art History at UNC Asheville invites you to join us for a lecture by artist Matt Klos on his studio, landscape, and interior paintings (and painting in general) on October 3, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in Owen Hall 250. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Professor Klos is an Assistant Professor at Anne Arundel Community College since 2007, having served as Chair of Visual Arts and Humanities (including Film Studies) from 2010-2013.
He earned a MFA, summa cum laude, in 2004 from the University of Maryland (UMCP), College Park, Maryland. He received his BFA, cum laude, in 2001 from Columbus College of Art & Design (CCAD), Columbus, Ohio. He has additional training in Nontoxic printmaking techniques with Robert Van DePeer, Sunbury Shores, New Brunswick, Canada. Other courses are Social Entrepreneurship, a thee-credit undergraduate course from Anne Arundel Community College in 2008 and from Maryland Institute College of Art (UMCP), College Park, Landscape Painting (St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada), two-week intensive three-credit graduate course with Sharon Yates and Mark Karnes) in 2008.
For a complete list of awards, including
- Individual Artist Award, Maryland State Arts Council 2012 and 2008
- GCAC 2002 Business Arts Partnership Purchase Award 2002
- The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant
- Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Gallery, “Observation and Invention: The Space of Desire,” Philadelphia, PA 2014 (Juror: Scott Noel)
- Prographica, “The Still Life Show,” Seattle, WA 2014 (Five person exhibition with Fred Birchman, Brian Blackham, Eric Elliott and Dean Fisher)
- “Still, Blue,” Group exhibition with Zeuxis 2013-2014 (Schmidt Art Center, Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, IL; Wilson Galleries, Anderson University, Anderson, IN; First Street Gallery, New York, NY
- Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, Annapolis, MD
- Maryland Institute College of Art, “La Lumière Fantastique: Brittany Shines in Baltimore,” Baltimore, MD 2013
- Nelson Gallery, “Contemporary Realist Painting,” Lexington, VA 2013
- Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Center, “INPA-3,” Cincinnati, OH 2013 (Third Place Award)
- Miami University, Heistand Galleries “Young Painters 2012” Oxford, OH 201 (Juror: Lance Esplund)
- Kentucky School of Art, “Perceptual Painters,” Louisville, KY 2013
- University of Southern Mississippi, Museum of Art, “Perceptual Painters,” Hattiesburg, MS 2013
please consult his extensive resume
Funding for lecture provided by Department of Art and Art History Visiting Artist Fund and Drawing Discourse.