Graduating senior Lori Brook Johnson selected for international drawing exhibitions
Lori Brook Johnson (Class of 2016, BA with concentration in drawing and Teacher Licensure (K-12), cum laude and Distinction in Art) graduates on December 12, 2015, with an impressive record of acceptances into exhibitions as well as teaching art to children and adults. Some of her recent accomplishments include:
- Will exhibit in Drawing Discourse: 7th Annual Contemporary Exhibition. Selected by juror, Edgar Jerins, as one of 43 pieces from among 908 entries that were submitted by 307 artists from 7 countries, her graphite drawing, Winter Coat: Unworn and Inside for a Moment, will hang in S. Tucker Cooke Gallery, Owen Hall, UNC Asheville, with opening reception on January 15, 2016; exhibition will continue through February 12. A catalog will be available.
- Exhibited in Drawn, Manifest Gallery, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Drawings by 394 artists (1188 pieces) from 44 states, 20 countries, and Washington, D.C., were submitted for consideration. Lori's Blue, a graphite and colored pencil drawing, was one of thirty-six works by 27 artists from 13 states, England, Japan, and Spain selected for presentation in the gallery April 17 − May 15, 2015, and in the Manifest Exhibition Annual publication.
- Simultaneity: Shared Spaces, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, October 9 – November 11, 2015. A collaborative exchange where the two universities exhibited the other's student art. The catalog is available here. The Asheville collection will be on view in the 2nd Floor Gallery, Owen Hall, February 19 – March 11, 2016. Lori had three pieces in the exhibition: Yellow, Blue, and Winter Coat: Unworn and Inside for a Moment.
- Art Educator, Literacy Through Art currently a two-month residency at Asheville Art Museum teaching art curriculum designed by the Asheville Art Museum to elementary schools in Buncombe County. Beginning in January 2016, she will begin a paid residency program teaching Literacy Though Art in Burke County elementary school program.
- Co-Creator, Asheville Figure Drawing Network, September 2015 – Present, Firestorm Cafe and Books. Organize and provide space for weekly drop in figure drawing sessions for the Asheville community.
- Student Art Teacher, Cane Creek Middle School, August 2015 – November 2015.
- Summer Intern, Asheville Art Museum, May 2015 – August 2015: assisted in instruction for children's summer art camp from pre-school to high-school students.
- Was awarded a studio assistantship for a summer 2015 session at Penland School of Crafts; she received a stipend to cover her art classes, room, and board. Johnson assisted Nicholas Raynolds in his workshop, “Portrait Drawing in Pencil,” while expanding her own portfolio of drawings.
- Selections from her Senior BA Portfolio were included in Fall 2014 BA Senior Group Exhibition.