The information in the Guidelines is supplementary to the policies and requirements stated in the UNC Asheville Catalog. It is imperative that students be familiar with the contents of this document as well as the contents of the Catalog. Students who have questions or concerns regarding information in this document should see their art advisor or any member of the Art Faculty.
Students must satisfy the Liberal Arts Core (LAC) requirements as listed in the Catalog when they enter the university and the Major Requirements listed in the Catalog for the academic year that they declare their major. When students are accepted in the BA or BFA program, they must satisfy the major requirements for the degree listed in the Catalog for the year that the degree is declared by a change in major form. Students who are absent from the university for two consecutive regular semesters (excluding summer term) must follow the Catalog of the year that they re-enter the university. This is true for both LAC and major requirements.
Art majors have four degrees and two minors from which to choose:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts: a pre-professional degree program for students who wish to pursue studies at the graduate level–with a concentration in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture, or Photography
- Bachelor of Arts: a liberal arts degree–with a concentration in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture, or Photography
- Bachelor of Arts in Art History
- Bachelor of Arts with K–12 Licensure
- Minor in Art (Studio) or Minor in Art History
A new interdisiciplinary program has been added effective 2017-2018 academic year: Interdisciplinary Studies: Concentration in Arts Management and Entrepreneurship
View the 2014-15 Guidelines for the Art and Art History programs here (revised 11/2014). ***
- ***2017-18 Guidelines for the Art and Art History (to be updated Spring 2018). The major changes from 2014-2015 are:
- 1) Students majoring in Art (BA) who also want to major in Art History must complete 24 hours of Art History courses that are not used to complete the requirements for the major in Art; and
- 2) Students majoring in Art History who also want to major in Art (BA) must complete 28 hours of Art courses that are not used to complete the requirements for the major in Art History.
- BFA Application Guidelines (10-10-2017)
- View the Liberal Arts Core (LAC) requirements here. (updated August 14, 2018)
- 2018-2019 ART/ARTH Catalog (updated August 14, 2018)
- 2018-2019 Complete university catalog (pdf) (updated Aug 14, 2018)
- 2018-2019 Forms from Resistrar’s office (updated Aug 14, 2018)
- Download and Fill-in Student Inventory Form for Exhibitions
- BFA Exhibition Checksheet (8-18-2016) to be updated August 2017)
- BA Exhibition Checksheet (2-24-2016) to be updated August 2017)
- Transfer Equivalencies