2016-2017 Scholarships and Academic Awards Ceremony on April 1
49th Annual Juried Student Exhibition
March 18–April 1, 2016
Opening Reception and Juror Awards: Friday, March 18, 2016, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
S. Tucker Cooke Gallery, Owen Hall
Gallery Hours: Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Closing Reception and 2016-2017 Scholarships and Academic Awards Ceremony: Friday Evening, April 1, 2016, 6:00-7:00 p.m. (Ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m.)
S. Tucker Cooke Gallery, Owen Hall
All events are free and open to the public.
This year there will be two events celebrating the 49th Annual Juried Student Exhibition. The first will be an opening reception on March 18 (6:00-8:00 p.m.) with the Juror Awards presented at 6:30 p.m. The second event will be on the last night of the exhibition, April 1, (6:00–7:00 p.m.) with the Academic Awards and Scholarships presented at 6:30 p.m.
Winners of the 49th Annual Juried Student Exhibition are:
- First Place: Max Saunders, Hanging Occuluses, stoneware, natural ash, Anagama fired
- Second Place: Amira Kotze, Untitled, acrylic and oil on canvas
- Third Place: Katie Wersel, Baby Teeth and Woman & Nature Verses Society, silver gelatin print
- Chancellor's Purchase Award: Spencer Crews, #9, cherry wood, steel, and cement
- The Margaret Millspaugh Memorial Scholarship in Sculpture: Shanna Glawson Blake
- Arrowmont Workshop Stipend: Avery Wells
- Odyssey Clayworks Summer Workshop: Kristen Easters
- UNC Asheville Bookstore Gift Cards: Lainey Hoffman and Erin Hunt
- Excellence in Art History Award: Hannah Wiepke
- Excellence in Photography Award: William “Rome” Widenhouse
- The Art History Scholarship: Lainey Hoffman
- The New S. Tucker Cooke Scholarship: Joseph Bolado
- The Cogburn Scholarship: Joanna Maldonado
- The Art Alumni Scholarship: Ashlee Overholt and Tracy Tanne
- The Ron Layne Scholarship for Sculpture in Honor of Dan Millspaugh: Jeb Hedgecock
- The S. Tucker Cooke Scholarship for Materials and Supplies: Amira Kotze
- The S. Tucker Cooke Scholarship: Shawn Winebrenner
- The Drawing Discourse Scholarship I: Marylia Hazen
- The Drawing Discourse Scholarship II: Kristin Sorensen
Undergraduate Research Recipients:
Summer 2015 Undergraduate Research Grant: Shanna Glawson Blake and Kevin Watson
Spring 2016 Undergraduate Research Grant: Jesse Hinson
December 2015 University Research Scholar Designations: Marisa Mahathey, Christine Thomas, and Jacob Wilson
About the juror:
Michael Reedy is an accomplished illustrator and is currently an Assistant Professor in Drawing at Eastern Michigan University. He received his MFA in painting from Northern Illinois University in 2000 and his BA from North Central College in 1996. His work has been included in over 100 national and international exhibitions and can be viewed in numerous private and institutional collections, including Minot State University, Clatsop Community College, Shippensburg University, and the Hoffman Trust National Collection in association with the San Diego Art Institute. Notable recent creative activities include exhibiting work in Drawing Discourse: An Exhibition of Contemporary Drawing at the University of North Carolina, the Midwest Drawing Invitational at the University of Saint Francis, and a recent solo exhibition (Expulsion) at The International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago, Illinois. In addition, Michael was also the subject of a recent article in the Winter 2013 / Volume 27 issue of Hi-Fructose New Contemporary Art Magazine. (Read more about Reedy).